Thursday, May 12, 2016

[Review] Friction by Sandra Brown

Friction by Sandra Brown
Publisher: Grand Central
Publishing Date:
Format: hardcover
Pages
Links: Goodreads | Amazon | B&N
Goodreads rating: 5 stars

Synopsis 

Crawford Hunt wants his daughter back. Following the death of his wife four years ago, Crawford, a Texas Ranger, fell into a downward spiral that left him relegated to deskwork and with his five-year-old daughter Georgia in the custody of her grandparents. But Crawford has cleaned up his act, met all the court imposed requirements, and now the fate of his family lies with Judge Holly Spencer.

Holly, ambitious and confident, temporarily occupies the bench of her recently deceased mentor. With an election upcoming, she must prove herself worthy of making her judgeship permanent. Every decision is high-stakes. Despite Crawford's obvious love for his child and his commitment to being an ideal parent, Holly is wary of his checkered past. Her opinion of him is radically changed when a masked gunman barges into the courtroom during the custody hearing. Crawford reacts instinctually, saving Holly from a bullet. 

But his heroism soon takes on the taint of recklessness. The cloud over him grows even darker after he uncovers a horrifying truth about the courtroom gunman and realizes that the unknown person behind the shooting remains at large . . .and a threat. 

Catching the real culprit becomes a personal fight for Crawford. But pursuing the killer in his customary diehard fashion will jeopardize his chances of gaining custody of his daughter, and further compromise Judge Holly Spencer, who needs protection not only from an assassin, but from Crawford himself and the forbidden attraction between them. 

FRICTION will keep you on the edge of your seat with breathtaking plot twists and the unforgettable characters that make Sandra Brown one of the world's best-loved authors. It is an extraordinary novel about the powerful ties that bind us to the ones we love and the secrets we keep to protect them.


My Review

OMG. I loved this book! I read it in two days and it was so hard to put down to go to bed! It kept me hooked from the very first sentence. Sandra Brown is one of those authors whose books I must buy when they come out. She never disappoints and her romantic suspense novels are my absolute favorite. Crawford is a really sympathetic character. He's been through a really hard time over the last few years after his wife died and he lost custody of his daughter. There's just something about him that is really intriguing. I also really liked Holly and she takes her job very seriously. But really, Joe? I hated him! I may have hated him more than some of the other more obvious characters in this book, and Neal came in a close second. But, Joe? Ugh. He made me want to throw the book across the room! Now Conrad on the other hand, Crawford's dad, I really liked as well. He's clearly got a few problems of his own, but he straightens out a little. 

Throughout this whole book, my emotions were up and down. I wanted to cry so many times because of the struggles Crawford was going through. I practiced as an attorney in family law for a while, so I definitely understood and empathized with his situation and the difficult time he had with the court system. My heart was broken for him as he tried to get his daughter back. 

As the events unfolded, I was really stunned! Like usual, there were a few things that I could pick up on, but there were a lot of surprises! I remember yelling, "WHAT?!" during a certain part of this that I really can't hint at! 

Seriously. Pick up this book. Read all of her books (especially the romantic suspense ones). They're so good! 

No comments :

Post a Comment